Tuesday, September 13, 2011

give a hoot


Our Resident Rodent Control Officer






Here is the whole story of why this guy took up residence in our tree...

Yesterday our friend Berkeley, whose parents were out of town, came down with a BAD infection in his finger. At first he thought he had broken it, because it was so swollen.  It did not take but a moment of investigation to see it was not broken but badly infected.  We cleaned it up  but soon a red line started appearing. We know from experience red lines= trouble...(just ask Bruce.)  With in 30 minutes I had him at the doctors office.  She gave him antibiotics and we were told to keep an eye on the red line that was slowly working its way up his lower arm.  If it reached his elbow we were instructed to take him to the ER.  As the day went on, and after two doses of oral antibiotics the line kept creeping... Berkeley started to panic...(and to be honest, I was feeling pretty anxious myself given past experience.)  We tried all sorts of distraction tactics to calm Berkeley down, but you could see it in his eyes, he was scared.   I said a prayer, and Bruce gave him a blessing.  I felt better, but Berk was still a little unnerved.  I decided I would run to the the store and pick up some dinner, by this time I was exhausted and had no desire to cook or clean up after... while I was out I picked up an new video game, thinking maybe that would help take his mind off the red line in his arm.  By the time I got back from the store the kids were so excited, this Big Horned Owl had decided to take up residence in our back yard tree.   I instantly knew this was a tender mercy. I felt a complete sense of peace run though me from my head to my toes.  I felt so much comfort in my own heart that Heavenly Father knows us. He hears us. He cares about us, and he sends up help, if we just look carefully we will see it quietly waiting.  No amount of treats, video games, or movies could have done the great job of distracting this little boy like this owl did.  There was nothing that would have been better to symbolize a loving Heavenly Father. We need he need to know that someone was watching over him.  This owl was sent to us, just for that reason.

1 comment:

CJ said...

you come across the most interesting critters along your way!

Stevens Family- We love our family















Lo,children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. Psalms 127:3